Sub-floor repairs Sydney, bearers and joist
New solid timber flooring installations are usually laid over flat surfaces like concrete slabs, plywood, particle boards, tiles or existing boards. Another method of installation is utilizing existing timber joists and bearers. Many older homes in Eastern and Inner western suburbs of Sydney were built with the floor frame system of two components. Floor joists and bearers.
- Sub-floor bearers or joists need to be strong enough to hold the rest of the floor up. Lack of floor vents in Sydney houses and prevailing moisture exposure for an extended period of time can cause a range of changes to the joists and bearers. Rising dampness, excessive moisture, lack of fresh air and neglected sub-floor ventilation are the major culprits of the sub-floor repairs in Sydney.
In the event of sagging, springy, or termites damaged flooring member, Floorexperts will provide the cost effective help your flooring system needs. Floor joists replacement and bearers repairs are delicate and sometimes very tricky. A limited access, low clearance from the ground, debris and old forgotten building material under the floor make the joist repair sometimes challenging. Enough room to insert a long piece of hardwood is the crucial issue here.
- Thank to our 29 years’ experience, we do it effectively. Not only minimizing the cost, the time of repair, but also disturbance for the owners.
· There are usually two main approaches.
1. underneath the floor. Enough space for the flooring guy to stand, sit, or at least physically be able to crawl underneath the floor.
In such a case we will be able to bring new joist or bearer in and replace the faulty one. The most difficult part of the job is to manipulate 3-4 m long floor member in confined space. We must place a waterproof flashing between the timber and the foundation to keep the bearers protected from moisture. A sheet of plastic or traditional lead flashing is used. The access to the sleeper wall must be provided to carry out the repair from underneath the sub floor.
2. between the soil and hardwood flooring. In this case the flooring members repair must be carried out from the top of the customer’s tongue and groove floor.
The subsequent sanding and polishing of the natural timber usually go hand-in-hand with the repair. It means not only moving out the furniture from the room but often from the entire wood flooring area. Occasionally the sanding and polishing can be split into several jobs, however, the time required will be much longer. To provide the highest quality job the whole hardwood floor should be sanded and finished at the same time.
Why the floor joists and bearers problems occur?
Click here for ANSWER
the most underfloor problems arise from lack of ventilation. Rising moisture results in mold growing, attracting termites and building wood decay.
How to prevent the damage of floor joists and bearers?
Click here for ANSWER
a proper under floor ventilation, sufficient floor clearance from the soil, adequate number, size and distance of wall vents
Dampness and termites do not affect only timber floor boards. The fundation – floor joists and bearers are exposed too.
Sydney Central Repair
Once upon a time there used to be a healthy floor member and bearers supporting the timber floor
Hardwood floors Marrickville
Welcome to the White Ant Kingdom
Usually there are two repair scenarios
Total destruction. This flooring joist was completelly eaten by termites.
This floor joist was sitting directly on the sleeping wall without any moisture barrier for decades. The moisture exposure resulted in collapsing of the floor.